Compiling Gnucash 2.6.16 on Linux Mint 18.1

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Mar 30 04:08:02 EDT 2017

On donderdag 30 maart 2017 10:01:05 CEST tjoen wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-03-29 at 21:53 -0700, DaveC49 wrote:
> > When I attempt to start gnucash (/usr/local/bin gnucash, I get a
> > message
> > "/usr/local/bin/gnucash: error while loading shared libraries:
> > libgnc-gnome.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> > directory".
> >
> > This is a link to libgnc-gnome.so.0.0.0 and both the link and the
> > linked
> > file are located in /usr/local/lib.
> >

> Several solutions possible but easiest is:
> # rm /usr/lib/libgnc-gnome.so.0
> # ln -s /usr/local/lib/libgnc-gnome.so.0 /usr/lib/

"Easiest" in "Easiest to solve your immediate problem" perhaps. However I
would not advise this unless you know very well what you are doing.

/usr/lib is the territory of the package manager. You should never manually do
things there unless you're very sure it won't interfere with that package
manager. If there's a /usr/lib/libgnc-gnome.so.0 that means gnucash is
installed from the package manager. That file is under package manager control
so shouldn't be manually manipulated.

At best you should remove the gnucash package instead. And probably you
wouldn't have to reroute the link then anymore.

Regards,

Geert