65-day distributions and other prior year transactions

David Derr derrjd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 15:52:48 EDT 2017

I am using Gnucash to keep the books for a family trust. As trustee I
elected to make a 65-day rule distribution (IRC 663(b) election) of 2016
income to the beneficiary in 2017 before the 65-day cutoff date (early
March).

Additionally, one of the ETFs that the trust funds are invested in made a
"prior year" cash dividend on 1/4/2017.

How should these transactions be entered in Gnucash? Do I enter them with a
12/31/2016 date so that the income is including in all 2016 reports? (When a
663(b) election is made on the second page of Form 1041 for the trust, the
distribution is considered as made on the last date of the previous year by
the IRS.) Or do I enter them on the date the transaction was made (or
dividend received) and make some adjustment to the accounts for 2017?

Any help would be appreciated.

David D., Texas