CSV Import

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Mar 30 07:44:30 EDT 2017

On donderdag 30 maart 2017 09:53:16 CEST Steve Isenberg wrote:
> Okay, when this is eventually updated, version 2.8 I believe you mentioned,
> and if you need help testing it let me know. I am very interested in the
> CSV import process and especially split-transactions so I am willing to
> assist if possible.
>

> Thanks again for the reply and information.
>

> Steve

You're welcome.

There are ways to test the unreleased csv importer already now as there are
several ways to install the current development version of gnucash.

**Warning** Always make a backup of your data file first before using a
development version of gnucash. It less well tested than the stable versions
and may contain known, unfixed bugs that can corrupt your data.

Having said that, here are a few options, depending on your comfort level:

On Windows you can simply download the nightly build from here:
http://code.gnucash.org/builds/win32/master/
and install it. This will replace a stable installation of gnucash, but you
should be able to install the stable version of the development version at any
time after you have finished testing.

If you're on Fedora, there is also a copr repository which updates nightly to
the most recent development snapshot. Contrary to the Windows installer I
would suggest to first uninstall your current gnucash and then install from
the copr repository.

Quick instructions
sudo dnf remove gnucash gnucash-docs
sudo dnf copr enable gjanssens/gnucash-master
sudo dnf install gnucash gnucash-docs

To return to the gnucash package from the distribution do
sudo dnf remove gnucash gnucash-docs
sudo dnf copr disable gjanssens/gnucash-master
sudo dnf install gnucash gnucash-docs

And lastly you could build the master branch of gnucash from scratch and test
the csv importer from there.

I'd love feedback this new importer. And the sooner I get this the more time I
may have to improve on it before the 2.8 release at the end of this year.

Regards,

Geert