Is GnuCash Secure?

51183341 at gmx.at 51183341 at gmx.at
Mon May 1 23:51:36 EDT 2017

Hello,

Am Mon, 1 May 2017 08:31:35 -0700 (PDT)
schrieb tnicolle <tnicolleca at gmail.com>:

> I am not a programmer so I don't really understand the concept of open
> source and what this means from a security point of view. As I do
> understand it, I believe it means that anyone can modify the source
> code to change it and that is how improvements are made.
>
> If this is the case, I wonder then what stops a developer from going
> into the source code and changing it with malicious intent to grant
> access or create virus problems etc.

What does a proprietary vendor stop from inserting malicious code?
And how could users detect that in case of secret source code?

The point of free software is you trust a worldwide distributed net of
independent developers instead of a single entity controlled by a
(foreign) government.

That does not mean free software is always secure, but it means that
users have a chance to verify its security. In free software users have
the power.

Freedom in software is a prerequisite for secure software.

Greg

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
  Gregor Horvath, Ing.      Industrieberatung & Softwareentwicklung