getting started on OS X

Eric Theise erictheise at gmail.com
Wed May 3 18:44:26 EDT 2017

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping GnuCash will replace the increasingly abysmal Quicken in my
life. I've installed the latest disk image on my OS 10.12.4 system and
seemingly successfully imported a .qif file, but I have questions.

So far I find the software crashes frequently. Upon restarting, I get the
"GnuCash could not obtain the lock for file:[url]" message and am
proceeding with "Open Anyway". I presume this is my best option?

I am unclear about how much functionality I should expect from Online
Banking. I have checking, savings, and credit card accounts with major US
banks and I would like to be able to fetch transactions periodically. I am
unclear about how to set up this up.

When I "Start AqBanking Wizard"
- "Create User" crashes the program. Utterly.
- "Create Account" gives me "Select Backend" window with an empty dropdown
list of "Backend"s to choose from. This seems wrong.

I did not think it would be necessary but I tried installing aqbanking via
Homebrew. It seems to have made no difference, and while the page at
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/AqBanking talks about using aqhbci-tool, the
version I installed via brew only surfaces aqhbci-tool4 which does not take
the same arguments.

I do not know how to proceed and would appreciate any suggestions or
pointers, thanks.

Eric