Importing from Moneydance

lj lj308 at pobox.com
Wed May 3 22:40:40 EDT 2017

John Northey wrote:
> I’ve given up on Moneydance after all the problems with their last update
> and would like to try GNUCash...

I moved from Moneydance to GnuCash about a year ago, but I did it from
MD2014 not MD2015 because I refused to upgrade. The move was successful but
did take a lot of cleanup work, including some edits to the QIF file. The
pain of moving was more than compensated for by being able to use GnuCash.

First, I don't know what's up with the file extension problem you seem to
be having. When I exported from MD2014 I got (filename).qif which GnuCash
of course sees as a QIF file.  Maybe it's an MD2015 problem. Did you look at
the exported file in a text editor? It should start with "!Type:..." - if
so it is QIF, if not you got something else.

To fix an MD QIF file, you will need a good plain-text editor which can do
pattern matching.

The first QIF problem I had to fix was invalid dates. MD used "D12/31/1969"
for opening balances, but this is not valid in GnuCash, so I changed them
to "D01/01/1970".

I have more, if you want.