How do I do a new clean installation

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Fri May 5 08:56:02 EDT 2017

On 5/5/2017 3:45 AM, ladydolphin wrote:
> Hi there
>
> Anyone help please.  Just started using, had a problem with the way I
> imported a couple of QIF files and after having a play with software
> decided best thing was to uninstall, delete everything and start with
> clean installation.  Unfortunately despite uninstalling in a number of
> ways, deleting everything I can find that might be connected with
> Gnucash and trying to reinstall a number of times all the new
> installations are showing records of these previous files.

Symptom of a more fundamental misunderstanding.

DATA and PROGRAMS are not the same thing. Gnucash is a program but your
books are data. In order to change your data (open a different set of
books) you do not have to reinstall the program. Just like if you wanted
to change to editing a different document you wouldn't have to reinstall
your word processor.

The only complication here is that gnucash will try to open by default
the last file (set of books) open. So if that is gone, will get a "not
found".

The question you SHOULD be asking is "if I have already created a set of
books with gnucash, how do I open a new (other) set of books?" You can
keep a number of different sets of books with gnucash. The "last open"
list is limited, but you can have more than that. Note that people who
keep lots of different books (I keep books for several organizations
besides myself) will probably choose the "no file" option since little
chance that the set of books they want to open would be the last that
was open.

Michael D Novack