canada payroll

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Tue May 9 12:11:45 EDT 2017

AN additional problem is legal interpretation for even one jurisdiction not to mention hundreds of them. (once you start including cities and other localities)

It is not as simple as calculate deduct rate X for tax Y, even for say 2-3 rates or more per jurisdiction. Start adding in rules for personal exemptions, 401k and other benefits and this quickly grows into a monster.

Now take all of those rules—those are based in laws somewhere. You’ll need legal counsel to determine how to implement those, and that’s no guarantee someone relying on this code won’t run afoul of some law.

I’d suspect Intuit has a legal team and maybe even enrolled agents looking over the results of their code to determine if their payroll system will produce paychecks and reports that are legally compliant. Too many businesses rely on them not to. It would be wonderful to find that sort of support for an open source project, but I’m not going to hold my breath. Certainly, I doubt it would be a cost free project.

I work with a small business that pays about $250 a year for payroll service. They used to do it by hand. (well, they used an adding machine, but other than that, I mean really, by hand, not even a spreadsheet) That’s less than $5 a week (which for them is a pay period) to have the calculations done for them reliably and get an instant report so they can then file payroll taxes—it’s quite a bargain. What use to take someone 4 hours or so to do now takes 15 minutes. I pondered moving them to GnuCash and doing payroll in a spreadsheet when I moved their systems to Linux, but thought better of it when I considered the time it would take to research tax law changes periodically.

If someone had the seed money to float a company selling an open source package (well, selling the service of making sure it was legally compliant for all jurisdictions at all times) I’d be all for it. But you’d need a strategy for building a customer base quickly to cover the legal and accounting consulting costs on an ongoing basis and you’d need a competitive advantage over Intuit and many of the online players.