Groups.io

Adonay Felipe Nogueira adfeno at openmailbox.org
Thu May 11 09:30:18 EDT 2017

I think that Namazu would be a good *complement* that allows this
current mailing list to be searched for.

A lot of mailing lists at GNU.org and LibrePlanet.org are using it.

I don't know how to install it, but I do use it in some mailing lists
from time to time.

Namazu is registered in the Free Software Directory:
[[https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Namazu]].

I said "complement" because there is no need to change the host, or
mailing list server software, it just works with GNU Mailman.

Also, keeping GNU Mailman avoids forcing the visitor to use non-free
software automatically through JavaScript, for the reasons why we must
avoid this problem, see
[[https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.html]],
[[https://media.libreplanet.org/u/libreplanet/m/restore-online-freedom/]]
and as a complement focused on security, see
[[https://media.libreplanet.org/u/libreplanet/m/the-surreptitious-assault-on-privacy-security-and-freedom/]].

If there is really interest in changing the mailing list server
software, then we would probably need developers aware of the JavaScript
trap, so that these developers can make sure that the *visitor*/end-user
of the website receives the software's essential freedoms for every
piece of JavaScript he is forced to run (even if we know that such page
can be browsed with JavaScript disabled, because not every computer user
in the world is having JavaScript disabled by default).

NOTE I'm not a developer, but I'm like an "advertiser"/speaker of the
importance of all aspects of free/libre software movement, while also
offering basic consulting and basic training services related to
free/libre software and its movement.

Respectfully, Adonay.
--
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com