Need a static version of GNUCash

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Sat May 13 06:26:37 EDT 2017

On 5/13/2017 3:13 AM, Liz wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2017 16:37:52 -0700 (PDT)
> parabolic quadrate <aotaspace at niue.nu> wrote:
> Hi everybody
> I need to have a pure static version of GNUCash (64bit Linux)
> You've had a few answers.
> Could I ask some more questions?
>
> Why do you need a static GnuCash?
> What distribution of 64bit Linux are you using?
>
> Can you give examples of other static programs which are running on
> your system?
>
> Liz
We should consider the possibility of a language problem (meaning of
"static")

a) Might be a different human language thing
b) Might be a user vs programmer thing

Parabolic, to us programmer types, "static" refers to how an executable
is link edited, how the pieces are tied together. To us "static" means
the ENTIRE THING (even pieces that may not get used this run) are loaded
into core when then the program is loaded. It would be one, gigantic
piece. The opposite is "dynamic" which allows the link editor to say
"wait" to find out where some piece will be loaded IF is ever called <<
because not at a fixed distance from where called, that can't be
resolved till then >>

If you meant "a version of the program that is not rapidly changing,
being improved, etc.) then the term would be "stable", not "static"

Michael