Balances forward of unused cash advances from previous year

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu May 18 10:53:40 EDT 2017

> On May 18, 2017, at 5:39 AM, Maf. King <maf at chilwell.net> wrote:
>
> On Thursday, 18 May 2017 13:07:07 BST Anita Graves wrote:
>

>> What is a widget?
>>

> A generic term for raw materials that one might buy to incorporate into a
> finished product.  I have no idea what your expenses are - so a generic term
> seemed appropriate.
>
> as in "this gadget uses a new design of widget to improve the efficiency of the
> sproket to grommet conversion ratio"
>
> Also, AFAIK, first commonly used to refer to the little bit of plastic invented
> in the 80s to make Draught Guinness Beer in cans taste more-or-less like it
> does from the pump in the pub.
>
> Yes, I know Guinness is Stout not "just" beer.  Flames -> /dev/warm-the-mash

Just for fun, I'll point out that "gadgets" and "widgets" are generic but "sprocket" (the toothed wheels on your bicycle that engage the chain) and "grommet" (a fitting that goes around the edge of a hole either to prevent chafing or to reinforce the hole) are real things. Converting one to the other would be an interesting project. ;-)

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/widget <http://www.dictionary.com/browse/widget> says that the word first appeared in the 1920s.

Regards,
John Ralls