How to post transactions re 'earmarked' contributions, and how to post in-kind contributions

Anita Graves anitagraves at mac.com
Thu May 18 11:03:02 EDT 2017

Dear All,

I am the treasurer for a religious organization and we have contributions coming in that are earmarked for a certain purpose.  I propose to enter these as separate Asset child accounts and then spend them in the corresponding expense account.  Do I have that right?

What do I do with ‘in-kind’ contributions?  No cash changes hands but it is the same difference, so do I debit the cash income account and credit the expense account?

Thanks for helping, everyone.

Anita