Online quotes

N B Day nbday at fastmail.fm
Sun May 21 09:35:28 EDT 2017

On Fri, 2017-05-19 at 15:49 -0400, Kenneth Schneider wrote:
> Stated wrong version of perl module correct version is 1.37-3.1
>
> Ken Schneider
>
> > On May 19, 2017, at 3:27 PM, Kenneth Schneider <kschneider at bout-tym
> > e.net> wrote:
> >
> > OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, lastest
> > GNUcash 2.6.16
> > Perl module Perl-Finance-Quote 2.6.16-1.1 is installed.
> >
> > I'm trying to enable online quotes but I'm unable. In the
> > configuration screen the following error blocks the operation:
> >
> > Warning: Finance::Quote not installed properly
> >
> > With error it is not possible to tick the Get online Quotes check
> > box.
> > Any help appreciated.

Ken,

Sorry not to have replied earlier: I was traveling with a hard-to-type-
on tablet.

According to my notes from the last time I fixed Finance::Quote on
Tumbleweed (it has *never* worked with openSUSE out of the box for me):

1. Install perl CPAN: "sudo perl -MCPAN -e shell"

2. Try to install Finance::Quote from the CPAN shell: "install
Finance::Quote"

3. This will probably end in error because some other stuff needs to be
installed first.  You're well experienced and will be able to figure
this out.  I had to install several prerequisits the last time I did
it. CPAN error messages are wordy but will guide you.

4. Test the result with "gnc-fq-dump yahoo CVX" from the command line.
This should fetch the price of a big evil oil company.

I had to go though the same process with this Arch derivative. The
maintainers apparently don't test F::Q.

HTH

--
N. B. Day
39.4042 North, 119.7377 West and 1387 meters up, Temp: 10.6 C (KRNO)