Understanding taxes and the income statement

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Sun May 21 22:41:01 EDT 2017

Are you sure you are marking that the sales tax is included in the $20 price? That should cause GC to split it out when posting to the liability (for sales tax) and income accounts.

The tax has zero to do with net income. It should not impact it in any way. It should never post to income and therefore no need to subtract from it. It should post to a liability account and you discharge that liability with an asset. Income and Expense accounts (and therefore Net Income) don’t enter the picture as far as the $1.31 is concerned. That amount with regards to that invoice transaction should not appear as a debit or credit to any income or expense account, only to liability and asset accounts.

Regards,
Adrien