Understanding taxes and the income statement

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue May 23 11:42:40 EDT 2017

Hi,

doncram <doncram at gmail.com> writes:

> Just to confirm clearly to Pete.  What i did, which was to "edit the
> invoice to show 20.00 for Consulting revenue with Taxable set and with Tax
> included set to NO, and set Tax table = Consulting Sales Tax", and then

Are you sure you set Tax Included to "NO"?  With that setting gnucash
should add the tax on top, which means at 7% on $20.00 you would get
Income:Sales of $20.00 and Tax Withheld of $1.40, for a total in A/R of
$21.40.

With Tax Included set to YES then it tells gnucash that the taxes are
included in the $20 value so you'd get your $18.69 Income:Sales and
$1.31 Tax Withheld, with $20 in A/R.