How to close a financial year & how to keep 'earmarked' funds

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu May 25 11:49:05 EDT 2017

Copying to list...

On Thursday, 25 May 2017 16:33:39 BST you wrote:
> Maf thanks so much!!!  Helpful certainly.  But I don’t understand IIRC, YMMV
> and HTH.

Mostly internet abbreviations.
If I Recall Correctly
Your Mileage Might Vary
Hope That Helps

> How is it possible to keep the same file moving from one year to the next in
> the same file?  How can I turn over the accounts for one year only to an
> accountant?  How can you compare side by side if everything is in the same
> file?

My accountant doesn't want to see my GC file, he wants reports that give the
profit & loss figures, balance sheet, account totals etc.  I do also do a full
transaction report, but he doesn't do any data entry / editing, just the
incorporating into the standard format for submission to the government.  Your
auditing needs may of course be different.

You can set the date range (or effective date for balance sheet / account
summary etc) for pretty much any of the reports.  So you just run the report
for say 2016 or may-august 2015 or whatever.  I find the transaction report to
be surprisingly useful as a start point for many things.

There is also a multi-column report - which is a "container" for any other
reports - so you can have say 3 balance sheets side-by-side, or run income
year to date  subtotalled by month next to the same thing for last year, for
example.

Maf.

--
Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542