Trial Balance does not include amount of Return of Capital Investment splits

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Fri May 26 23:37:42 EDT 2017

From: John Ralls [mailto:jralls at ceridwen.us]
Sent: Friday, 19 May 2017 1:33 AM
To: Chris Good <chris.good at ozemail.com.au <mailto:chris.good at ozemail.com.au> >
Subject: Re: Trial Balance does not include amount of Return of Capital Investment splits

…

To represent an actual Return of Capital you'd do something like

$400 DR Assets:Current Assets:Bank1

$400 CR Assets:Investments:Brokerage1:Stock1 Memo: Return of Capital

$400 CR Assets:Investments:Brokerage1:Stock1 Memo: Reduction in basis 0 shares, 0 price

$400 DR Income:Deferred Income:Reduction in basis of investments

Hi John,

I tried your suggested Return of Capital but unfortunately the TB now shows (after just the buy and RoC):

$900 DR Assets:Current Assets:Bank1

$500 DR Assets:Investments:Brokerage1:Stock1

$1000 CR Equity:Opening Balances
$400 DR Income:Deferred Income:Reduction in basis
DR Total $1,800
CR Total $1,000

There is no Unrealized Gains/Losses line (as expected).

There doesn’t seem to be a way to record a RoC and still have a correct Advanced Portfolio Report (APR) & TB.

It still seems to me that, as the (APR) correctly deala with the RoC as I first detailed, so should the Trial Balance. Shall I raise a bug/enhancement? Maybe some Scheme/C guru will want to scratch their itch.

I’ll have more of a look when I get time, but so far, I just get confused when trying to follow the code - I think I’ll need to run the engine code in a debugger to really see what it’s doing.

Regards, Chris Good