Locale issues on OSX

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon May 29 14:00:27 EDT 2017

> On May 29, 2017, at 10:09 AM, Axel Essbaum <axel at essbaum.com> wrote:
>

> Can anyone tell me how the language for the date picker is determined in GnuCash?
>
> Thanks!!
>
> - Axel
>
> --
> Axel Essbaum
> axel at essbaum.com
>

>> On 28 May 2017, at 18:56, Axel Essbaum <axel at essbaum.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hello all,
>>
>> I just recently upgraded from GC 2.6.3 to GC 2.6.16 and am having locale issues under OSX 10.11.
>>
>> In System Preferences > Language and Region I have Language set to English (English at the top of the list) and Region set to Switzerland.  Under Advanced I have Number separators set to ' with Decimal as .  Currency is Swiss Franc (CHF).  This worked ok in 2.6.3 but in 2.6.16 I am getting Number separator . with Decimal as ,
>>
>> I could live with this, except that the calendar (what appears when I click on a date) is in French (was in English in 2.6.3)!
>>
>> Changing the setting for GnuCash > Preferences > Accounts > Default Currency has no effect.
>>
>> Anyone know whatI can do to fix this?

It's a wrapper around GtkCalendar which uses strftime, which in turn uses LC_TIME. The catch in your case is that it requires a locale defined in /usr/share/locale, and en_CH isn't one of them, so GnuCash goes looking for something that will work, starting with the country. It apparently finds fr_CH first.

You can try setting Region to United States and in the advanced sheet change the currency to CHF, but that will probably flip the separators so that thousands is , and decimal is . in places where the number is formatted with LC_NUMERIC instead of LC_MONETARY. Incidentally, Apple's Swiss POSIX locales that has the separator as . instead of ' in LC_MONETARY; they have ' ' (space) as the separator in LC_NUMERIC.

Regards,
John Ralls