General Journal - history limit and search

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 06:14:21 EDT 2017

Roger,

I do not normally start a search from the General Ledger view or I would
have known that it worked exactly as you described, at least in my
installation of release 2.6.11 in Linux.

The instructions for searching in the entire database state that one should
start from the chart of accounts, and that is the method that I usually use.

If one starts from a standard account register view a search opens a new
results window and leaves the account register view alone.

I have not found a way to 'back out' of a search result either, and , in
fact, I am often frustrated by the fact that there is no way to see what
was searched in or for what to generate that last search result window.
The search tool has an option to start a new search or to refine the last
search, but I have no idea if that actually does anything.

Occasionally I have seen a request to be able to save a search criteria
set, but as the program is now, with no way to identify the criteria, a
saved search would be useless.

If you can succinctly describe a better way to implement a search procedure
within the current GnuCash UI, suggest that as a potential improvement.

David C