Outgoing personal loan clarification

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 09:41:21 EDT 2017

I’d think:

11th: Regular 2-split
Assets:Cash -$300
Expenses:Payroll $300

25th: Multisplit
Assets:Cash -$50
Assets:Loan:Employee -$250
Expenses:Payroll $300

The loan repayment is simply a transfer between ‘Money owed’ asset account to your bank account.

Some concerns will be whether you wish to maintain the constant bimonthly payroll amounts of $300 so that the original employee pay of $600/month is still reflected in your books, and whether the $2000 is considered a business loan or a personal loan.

These questions cannot be answered in any accounting package; your software (ideally gnucash but also any inferior package) will simply always reflect your understanding of your financial situation.

Good luck!