finance-quote error

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Nov 3 05:18:12 EDT 2017

Op vrijdag 3 november 2017 09:56:24 CET schreef Colin Law:
> On 3 November 2017 at 04:46, Keith Myers <keith.myers at att.net> wrote:
> > Confused why the Price Quote worked up till Nov. 1 when all my Google
> > searches indicate the API was pulled back in July.  Why was it still
> > working till yesterday?
> >
> > What are the Gnucash developers going to do to remedy the problem?
>
> Remember that you have no inalienable right to expect the developers
> to do anything about it (or any right at all to expect that for that
> matter). They are all unpaid volunteers doing the work for the benefit
> of all of us and deserve our undying gratitude for their efforts.
>
> Colin

While I understand this affects many gnucash users, it is not something that
can or should be solved in gnucash directly. Gnucash doesn't directly use the
Yahoo! service. Gnucash uses the finance::quote tool which manages several
price sources, one of which being Yahoo!.

I think we'll have to wait until the dust settles down before we can take
sensible action. Clearly the people accessing the service directly are
discussing with Yahoo! itself. I also don't know what finance::quote will
decide to do from here. Will they grab quotes from another service or not ?
This should all be cleared first IMO.

I'm sorry this brings such an inconvenience in the mean time.

Geert