Copying fields in a filtered account sheet

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Nov 3 10:29:31 EDT 2017

> On Nov 3, 2017, at 2:55 AM, Cliff Williams <clifton26w at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Morning John
>>
>> Apologies for the confusion.
>>
>> I understand that GnuCash call their categories, accounts so was
>> referring to those accounts listed under perhaps assets, income,
>> expenses or liabilities.  If I was to say open my checking account I
>> would see a list of my transactions.    If I then want to copy part of
>> that list to say a separate spreadsheet it would not be possible as
>> the copy, select and past function for that action is not enabled.  In
>> a similar way it is also disabled after conducting an 'edit/find'
>> search transaction task.
>>
>> Is it possible to enable the function so that the user can copy
>> snippets of information to for example an external spreadsheet.
>>
>> Hopefully my question is now a little clearer.

Please remember to copy the list on all replies.

Ah, to copy data to a spreadsheet, run a report (the transaction report is a obvious choice for your example) and copy the report.

An alternative for spreadsheets is to export data as CSV (File>Export>Export Transactions to CSV…) though you may find the result of that a bit difficult to use as it puts each transaction in multiple rows, one per split.

One more thing: No, GnuCash doesn’t “call their categories accounts”. GnuCash is a double-entry accounting program and you need to understand double-entry accounting to be able to use it effectively. The Tutorial and Concepts Guide available from the help menu and www.gnucash.org <http://www.gnucash.org/> provides a very basic introduction. You should at least study that; some new users find that they need to get a basic accounting text or to take an introductory course to properly understand the principles.

Regards,
John Ralls