Finance-Quote 1.44 released!

David Reiser dbreiser at icloud.com
Thu Nov 9 16:58:36 EST 2017

> On Nov 8, 2017, at 7:17 PM, davelist at mac.com wrote:
>
> Thanks for all your work on this. A symbol I cannot get to work is QREARX (a TIAA-CREF mutual fund).
>
> https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/QREARX?p=QREARX
>
> I don't know if it's something wrong with AlphaVantage or Finance::Quote.
>
> /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnc-fq-dump  alphavantage qrearx
>
> Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
>    symbol: qrearx (deduced)     <=== required
>      date: ** missing **        <=== recommended
>  currency: ** missing **        <=== required
>      last:                      <=\
>       nav:                      <=== one of these
>     price:                      <=/
>  timezone:                      <=== optional
>
> ** This stock quote cannot be used by GnuCash!
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Use the Tiaacref module of Finance-Quote, but use “TIAAreal” as the ticker symbol. Upper/lower case matters.

It looks to me that symbols of the form QzzzRX are the new(er), public pseudo symbols associated with TIAA-CREF funds that existed in the days when the only quote source was TIAA-CREF themselves using internally generated pseudo symbols (like CREFstok, CREFequi, TIAAreal). For the funds that survived the TIAA-CREF explosion of choice, Finance-Quote still uses the original pseudo symbols to look up the 6-10 digit numeric fund ID that FQ now feeds to TIAA’s data server to get current quotes. [And then FQ reconverts the return data, which uses the newer symbols, to match the old style pseudo symbols.] Somewhat inefficient, but it does maintain compatibility for gnucash users with long-term data sets.

The real estate fund may be the only one that kicks this up. All of the other older funds have split into multi-class families [(R1), (R2), and (R3)], with even relatively small schools getting their old (R1) funds upgraded to lower admin cost (R2) and (R3) units. All the newer ticker symbols that start with Q have something other than R as the next to last character.

David Reiser
dbreiser at icloud.com