Configuring GnuCash to fetch stock prices from ASX

Justin Smith justin at smithpolglase.com
Fri Nov 10 05:56:15 EST 2017

Hi All,

I had configured GnuCash to fetch stock prices with a single quote source
set to "Yahoo Australia". Like many others on this list, this stopped
working recently when Yahoo discontinued their service.

After trying a few things, I noticed that the following works:

------------
$ gnc-fq-dump asx bhp
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: bhp                  <=== required
      date: ** missing **        <=== recommended
  currency: AUD                  <=== required
      last: 28.070               <=\
   * correct price *
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price: 28.070               <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional

** This quote will have today's date, which might be incorrect.
   GnuCash will use it, but you might prefer that it doesn't.

But, when I set the single quote source for this stock to "Australian Stock
Exchange, AU", GnuCash returns an error "Unable to retrieve quotes for
these items..."

Does anyone know why gnc-fq-dump works but GnuCash doesn't?

BTW I updated F::Q to version 1.45.

Cheers,
Justin.