MySQL field question

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Oct 9 23:59:11 EDT 2017

> On Oct 9, 2017, at 11:11 AM, Joseph Hesse <joehesse at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> In the gnucash mysql transactions table there are 2 date fields,
>
> post_date and enter_date
>
> What is the difference between them? When I enter transactions I only enter 1 date and I don't enter any time data.

“Posted date” is the date that the transaction happened and “entered date” is the date and time that you performed the data entry. For example I posted my grocery shopping receipts this morning though I’d done the shopping on Friday: The posted date is 6 October and the entered date is today at 10:something.

The time on posted date is almost always 10:59:00UTC as that keeps the date the same across almost all timezones; the exceptions are the mid-pacific timezones of -11, +13 and +14. If anyone is using GnuCash there it uses 10:59 local time so that they don’t see dates change when daylight time goes on or off.

Regards,
John Ralls