Question on mysql "account" table

Joseph Hesse joehesse at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 09:31:54 EDT 2017

Here is an example of what I am trying to do.  My expenses in gnucash
have items that look like:

Expenses
   Auto
     Gas
     Service

When I look in the mysql accounts table I can find the record containing
Service but no easy way to find Expenses:Auto:Service. The record
containing Service in the accounts table has the item parent_guid so I
could use that to locate the parent classification of Service, which is
Auto. I can repeat the process until I get a complete description of the
account.

My questions is: Is there sophisticated query where I can add a column
to the accounts table containing the full name instead of just the name?

I know I can do what I want in a programming language like PHP or C++
but I want to know if there is something easier.

The reason for my questions is I am creating a custom expense report by
joining the accounts, splits and transactions table and I want the
expense name to have a full path description.

Thank you,
Joe