Accounting for Cryptocurrency Mining Operations

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Thu Oct 26 07:19:03 EDT 2017

On 10/26/2017 12:21 AM, Rodney Elliott wrote:
> Hi All.
>

> If I were to purchase a cryptocurrency (say Bitcoin) with a fiat
> currency recognised by gnucash (say USD), then the procedure to
> record the transaction is clear - create an asset account of the type
> 'stock', associate it with a new security that uses the coin ticker
> (BTC) and the maximum number of significant figures supported by
> gnucash, etc.
>

> What to do in the case of mining a cryptocurrency is less clear. The
> BTC asset account would need to be credited with the amount of coins
> mined, but then what? How do you balance this transaction, given that
> no fiat currency was involved? The cryptocurrency was effectively
> created out of thin air. I feel like the answer is an equity account
> of some description, but I do not think that it would be appropriate
> to have an equity account of the type 'stock'. Is there a tractable
> solution to this problem?

If you found gold on your property and worked as a gold miner, and took
the gold as payment for your labors, how would you account for that?
Maybe it is just income paid in that alternate currency; gold in the
case of gold mining, BTC in the case of bitcoin. ???

  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B Registered Machine  1935521.
 /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://linuxcounter.net
 ^^-^^ 07:15:01 up 20 days, 6:41, 2 users, load average: 4.31, 4.30, 4.12