Tax Tables - an illustrated primer?

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 10:13:40 EDT 2017

Thank you all

I'd think that the following would nicely summarise how we'd record VAT as
applied to Commonwealth and Europe. We'd assume that the recording of VAT
only matters because we need to submit returns periodically for business
sales and expenses to tax authorities, and this would really not be
necessary for personal expenses. Numbers from wikipedia. I'm not going to
attempt India which has different % according to the initial price...

Sample Tax Tables for EC country (e.g. 21% / 6% / 0% for Belgium, 20% / 5%
/ 0% for UK etc) (2017)

*Tax Table*

*Tax Table Entries [Asset/Liability] *

*Percentage or Amount*

Standard VAT on Sales

Liability:VAT:Sales:Standard [L]

21%

Reduced VAT on Sales

Liability:VAT:Sales:Reduced [L]

6%

EC Sales

Liability:VAT:Sales:EC [L]

Liability:VAT:Sales:Reversed [L]

21%

-21%

Standard VAT on Purchases

Liability:VAT:Purchases:Standard [A]

21%

Reduced VAT on Purchases

Liability:VAT:Purchases:Reduced [A]

6%

Sample Tax Table for Australia (2017)

*Tax Table*

*Tax Table Entries [Asset/Liability]*

*Percentage or Amount*

Standard GST on Sales

Liability:GST:Sales:Standard [L]

10%

GST-free Sales

Liability:GST:Sales:Zero [L]

0%

Standard GST on Purchases

Liability:GST:Purchases:Standard [A]

10%

GST-free Purchases

Liability:GST:Purchases:Zero [A]

0%

Sample Sales Tax for Chicago, Illinois USA (2017)

*Tax Table*

*Tax Table Entries [Asset/Liability]*

*Percentage or Amount*

Chicago Sales Taxes