GnuCash security symbol incompatible with financeQuote

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Tue Sep 12 15:07:14 EDT 2017

On 11 September 2017 at 13:34, gnucash_noob_22237 said:

> Dear all,
>
> I want to track the stock with symbol "BTEM.L". This is recognised by
> finance::quote :
>
> ./gnc-fq-dump yahoo_europe BTEM.L
> Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
>     symbol: BTEM.L               <=== required
> ... etc
>
> More standard would be the symbol "LON:BTEM", but not recognised by
> finance::quote.

f:q doesn't "recognise" symbols, it offers them to your chosen
quote-source. I have no idea what you mean by "more standard".

> GnuCash seems to only allow me to create securities with symbols X:Y where
> X is "type" and Y is "symbol", and the ":" is non-optional. How can
> GnuCash track "BTEM.L" ?

What do you mean by "seems"?

You create the security using the correct symbol for the quote-source you
wish to use, which in this case is apparently BTEM.L, and this will allow
Gnucash to retrieve prices. I just did that, successfully.