Basic Register - Removing Unwanted Columns

Keith Winans winanskeith at gmx.com
Wed Sep 13 10:37:46 EDT 2017

I only want to use the gnucash register to keep track of my deposits and
payments.
I would like to remove 'Num, Transfer, and R' from the list of columns.
Is there any way to do this?

Also, the Debit and Credit columns seem to me to be backward.
I enter a deposit in the Credit column and it comes out as a negative.
I enter a payment in the Debit column and it comes in as a deposit.
Please clarify this for me please, this is my first time to use a check
register program.
Thanks,
Keith