Backup help

Art pinaart at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 20 10:02:58 EDT 2017

 Yes, a client-server architecture would be simpler and easier for this purpose; however, you wouldn't have the redundancy of a cluster or a mirror (MySQL Master Slave Replication). I did it to learn how to do it, but now I just do a dump and restore of my MySQL db. And I found the transaction logs to be excellent journal files making GC robust enough to not worry about hardware or corruption issues. It only takes a few minutes to restore my database, so I use the dump to sync my laptop (though its just so slow when it's self-serving, but it's standalone so there are no concurrency issues!).

- Art
    On Wednesday, September 20, 2017, 9:40:57 AM EDT, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2017, at 1:35 AM, DaveC49 <davidcousens at bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Colin,
>
> i agree with both you and Bram there. It is not a reliable backup of the
> database but really only useful for sharing a database across several
> machines and worked well for the use case where my laptop was generally
> connected to my LAN and I worked away from home occasionally.  haven't had
> any experience with how it copes with simultaneous access and locking
> issues.  There is also the MYSQL Cluster as another approach. You also need
> to check that the replication is up to date and completed before assuming
> the databases are identical.  I use a cron job and mysqldump to dump  the
> databases  to an NAS for backup.

Um, wouldn’t it be easier to just use one of the machines as a server and connect to it with GnuCash from the other machines?

Regards,
John Ralls