No suitable backend was found for /Volumes/Secure/GnuCash2016/Personal2016.gnucash

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Sep 28 12:17:20 EDT 2017

> On Sep 28, 2017, at 8:58 AM, Eric Beversluis <ebever at researchintegration.org> wrote:
>
> I’ve recently moved to Mac Sierra. Have been using GnuCash successfully there. This morning when I opened gnucash I got this message:
>
> No suitable backend was found for /Volumes/Secure/GnuCash2016/Personal2016.gnucash
>
> ??
>
> Only thing I can think is that I moved some older versions of my GnuCash files to trash. Had several sitting in other places as a result of the move and of setting up the encrypted image /Volumes/Secure.
>
> I seem to be able to open one of the backups, Personal2016.gnucash.20170927131325.gnucash. But when I try to save it as Personal2016.gnucash, after having moved the original Personal2016.gnucash to trash, I get the same “No suitable backend” error.
>
> Also strange: Mac or GnuCash or something is creating these two zero byte files:
>
>     Personal2016.gnucash.20170927131325.gnucash.0.1139.LNK
>     Personal2016.gnucash.20170927131325.gnucash.LCK
> ??

Those files are created by the xml backend. The LCK file is the lock file that the backend uses to ensure that only one user is connected to the file at a time. The LNK file is part of a hack to ensure that locking works on an old remote file protocol called NFS, for "network file system".

If you save Personal2016.gnucash to a non-encrypted volume is GnuCash able to open it? Does enabling or disabling compression in Preferences (General tab, middle of the page, "Compress Files") make a difference?

Is /Volumes/Secure encrypted with File Vault or a third-party program?

Regards,
John Ralls