New user questions

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Sep 29 06:43:02 EDT 2017

Hi Wesley,

Welcome to GC & the list.

On Friday, 29 September 2017 01:07:00 BST Wesley Vick wrote:
> Greeting
> have begin entering all my expenses since Jan 1 2017. I have finally
> finished entering all the expenses and entered the balance of my checking
> account. Here is my problem. All the receipts posted have already been
> paid. The balance of my checking account is what I have right now. After
> entering everything, I am showing a negative balance of $6,000.00. How can
> I fix the software to show the true balance and that is what is in the
> checking account. Can I go into Equity and maybe show starting balance of
> the negative $6,000 or do I need to go back to January and start entering
> all deposits that have been made?

I'm a little confused here - you say you have entered everything, then you ask
if you need to enter an opening balance and the deposits into your account.
which is true?

When you started your GC records in January, you should have entered an
"opening balance", (probably dated 31st Dec 2016) - there is a box for this as
part of the account setup dialogue box.  You would find this "opening balance"
number on a bank statement or other doc from your institution.  If you missed
this step, no problem, go ahead and create one manually.  You want to use
Equity:Opening Balances as the transfer account.

this step ensures that as of the first second of this year, GC and your bank
agree with how much money you have in that account.

Record all your expenses and incomes for that account, and throughout the
year, the GC balance should closely follow the totals on your bank statements.

> I appreciate all the work you have done
> creating this software for there are more than 400 police officers that
> work for this firm part time and they are a ll interested in this software.

Great, I hope it helps them and they "get" the idea of open source software
and are eventually able to help the community of us other users around the
world in some way.

> All I need now is to find software to track my mileage for my vehicle. Is
> there a section in this software that I can submit a time sheet for the
> work completed that will show the hours worked, time in, time out, location
> of the security work performed as well as the mileage driven?

I don't think so.  It is an accounting package, not a time-management tool.
You may be able to track mileage using the stocks & commodities section, but
I'm not sure if it would be a very good idea.  Speradsheets like LibreOffice
Calc might be a better bet, or some project management packages.

You could also see if the Customer/Invoice section will work, but it may not
produce results exactly like a "timesheet"

Good Luck,
Maf.