How to modify many transactions at once

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Sep 29 06:50:33 EDT 2017

On Friday, 29 September 2017 04:01:11 BST Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:
> I'm just starting out with gnucash and I've imported a large number of bank
> transaction records. I now have hundreds of imbalance notices that I'd like
> to correct.  Whoops.
>
> Many of my transactions are scheduled payments, so I can easily discover
> them with a find. Is there a way in which I can transform a batch of
> transactions? I'd like to locate the transactions then move all of them to
> an account. Is this possible? Can it be scripted?
>
> thanks,
>
> Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

Welcome to GC and the mailing list.

there isn't a way to move a set of transactions all at once, with the
exception of moving everything in one particular account. (try to delete an
account and GC will offer to assign all the affected transaction splits to an
alternative account)

any scripting method would be unsupported by the Dev team, if it was even
possible.

Your best bet might be to restore a backup file from before the import, run it
again and do better matching as you go - or import in small chunks.  I don't
import, but I understand that transaction mappings can be learned by GC.

HTH,
Maf.