Importing Quicken

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 10:00:09 EDT 2018

Alen,

What you’ve done with the Benefits section is better, but I still feel that any mention of benefits of migration is misplaced here. Someone looking for ways to migrate from Quicken presumably has already come to this conclusion.

* I have edited the tips portion further. I added a tip regarding the whole Categories/Accounts paradigm.

* I modified your tip regarding import of categories only, since it isn’t strictly necessary.

I think it’s useful here to note that I didn’t have to either import the account structure or individual accounts separately when I imported my large QIF file way back in the dark ages—I simply exported everything in one big QIF and did the import from that. That was when I discovered the holes in my Quicken data. I chose to go back in to Quicken, fill in those holes, and re-export the entire file again, repeating until I had a clean enough import to move forward. I know that others have had a different experience.

* I modified the tip about multiple currencies to more accurately reflect the situation and make it clear that the problem isn’t with GnuCash, but with QIF.

Cheers,
David