Importing Quicken

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 11:07:53 EDT 2018

When I did my import (over a decade ago, I believe), I had no problem with transfers. Since I was importing all in one pass, there were no duplicates created by transfers.

I believe the duplication problem you describe specifically arises when you opt to import transaction data from individual accounts separately, since you have to tell the importer when a given transfer is already in the system from the other side. It’s precisely why I think it should NOT be the “preferred” way of importing from Quicken, since it forces the user to manually identify the other side of a transfer every time. That makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

This is why I chose to run the Export-Import process iteratively, until I got the Quicken data massaged to my satisfaction. Then the imported data was all good.

Most of the challenge had to do with random category variations, and uncategorized transactions—which you well know will end up in IMBALANCE-USD.

David T.