What is earliest version of Ubuntu for which building GnuCASH 3.0 is possible?

Steve Cohen stevecoh2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 23:06:30 EDT 2018

On 04/06/2018 02:39 PM, John Ralls wrote:

>>> We're using 14.04 for one of the CI builds, so you shouldn't have any trouble. You might want to examine
>>> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/unstable/util/ci/ubuntu-14.04-docker
>>> to copy the packages you need to install.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls
>>>

>> Thank you John.  I'm noticing that the README file (from within the 3.0
>> tarball) is for version 2.6.x.  Are more recent build instructions
>> available elsewhere?
>
> The best current build instructions are cmake/README_CMAKE.txt.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Thanks!
After a few hours of false starts, I managed to build GnuCash 3.0 on my
Ubuntu 14.0.4 system.

I had to use this command line:

cmake -D ALLOW_OLD_GETTEXT=ON -D GTEST_ROOT=~/src/gtest/googletest -D
GMOCK_ROOT=~/src/gtest/googlemock ~/src/gnucash

The ALLOW_OLD_GETTEXT was necessary because I only had an earlier
version of gettext and could find no way to install the required version
without compiling it too and I didn't want to enter that path.  What
negative features will result from doing this, and is it avoidable under
this environment?

I haven't tried installing it yet.  Will it be necessary to uninstall
the old one first, and what happens to my datafiles if I do that.  In
other words, what's the upgrade path here?

Thanks again.