[GNC] future of custom reports in 3.x

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Apr 8 13:13:14 EDT 2018

While we would like to replace the reporting system with something more flexible and user friendly we’re a very long way from being in a position to even start on it.

In the meantime there are four alternatives for custom reports:
1. Learn Scheme and qof-query to make custom reports for use inside GnuCash.
2. Learn SQL and use a SQL backend to extract the data you want. The results are generally amenable to import into a spreadsheet for further processing; you could also install the appropriate ODBC module for your SQL engine of choice and connect to it with Libre/OpenOffice, Microsoft Access, or some similar tool with a custom report writer or your favorite programming language’s SQL interface (e.g. DBAPI for Python).
3. Learn Python and use either the python bindings or PieCash (also requires the SQL backend) to query the database and write custom reports.
4. With an XML file use your favorite language's XML bindings with XPATH or XQUERY to retrieve the data and format your report.

Regards,
John Ralls