[GNC] Gnucash 3.0 fails to launch on Windows 10

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Apr 9 23:14:07 EDT 2018

> On Apr 8, 2018, at 12:02 AM, Peter Jackson <jackson at fastmail.net> wrote:
>
> Good Morning,
> I use Windows 10 build 16299 and am a happy user of Gnucash 2.6.20.
> I have installed Gnucash 3.0 three times.
> Each time after installation, Gnucash 3.0 has failed to launch.
> My datafile is 18MB.
> Any suggestions please?

It’s not the size, it’s the content.

So far there are 3 known problems, so far one of them fixed for 3.1:
* Dates before 1 January 1400. Dates before 1000 CE will crash. That’s fixed, out of range dates are converted to 1 Jan 1970.
* Missing posted date in invoices. The reporter of this one hasn’t had time to figure out what caused the date to go missing. The symptom here is that GnuCash 3.0 will start up the first time but will fail to load the subsequently saved file.
* Problems with saved report configurations. One case has been reduced to having non-ASCII characters (in this case ö) in a report title. Another case has submitted a file for analysis but I haven’t yet analyzed it. The work around is to rename saved-reports-2.4.

It’s always possible that you have found a fourth problem, of course.

Regards,
John Ralls