[GNC] gnucash 3.0 installation

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Apr 10 08:57:36 EDT 2018

Op zondag 8 april 2018 04:44:00 CEST schreef DaveC49:
> James,
>
> The target will depend upon the distribution you are running.
> As Adrien has said /opt is one possibility.
>
> If you are running a version released by the Ubuntu distribution managers,
> i.e. installed with sudo apt-get install gnucash, it is likely to be
> installed in /usr/local.
>
> The advantage of using /opt is you can test a later release without
> interfering with the distribution release and if you were to install the
> distribution release it won't overwrite the version you have compiled.  I
> never install from the distro so I normally install in /usr/local and keep
> /opt for when I occasional work on the development version of gnucash
>
> Also depending on where you have put the build directory for cmake the
> ../gnucash as the argument may be incorrect. If you have downloaded and
> extracted the gnucash-3.0.tar.bz2, you will have a top level directory
> gnucash-3.0 not gnucash unless you renamed it. This argument should point to
> the top level CMakeLists.txt file which is in the gnucash-3.0 folder.
>
> If you create build-cmake in the gnucash-3.0 folder as the wiki Build#Ubuntu
> page suggesst and then cd into it for the build then using ".." or "../" as
> the argument to Cmake should take you back to the gnucash-3.0 folder and
> Cmake should look for the CMakeLists.txt file in that folder. The other
> alternative is to use an absolute path to the gnucash-3.0 folder.
>
> One of the developers, Rob Gowin has suggested putting the build-cmake
> folder outside the gnucash-3.0 folder to simplify specifying the first level
> file for CMake.
Besides Rob Gowin most other gnucash developers will also encourage to use a
build directory that's not a descendant of your source directory. Your method
works as wel, but there are more pitfalls and more confusion, which means more
support requests.

> I prefer not to do this as I sometimes have a couple of
> versions of Gnu8cash built and I prefer the build directory to be under the
> gnucash-<version> folder so I can be sure which version i am installing.

If you know what you're doing that's fine. Though you can just as well create
a directory tree that represents what you want without requiring your build
dir to be a descendant of your source dir.
You could say
unstable/src
unstable/build

or
branch-abc/gnucash
branch-abc/build

or even
gnc-maint
build-gnc-maint

But as said before, if you understand how it works you can do as you like.

Geert