[GNC] gnucash-user Digest, Vol 181, Issue 50

Colin Whyles cwhyles at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 10 11:10:56 EDT 2018

I am no lawyer, but have been studying the impact of GDPR on a couple of other organisations I work with on a voluntary basis. I am treasurer of one, and use GnuCash for its accounts.

GDPR states that you must have a legal basis for holding data. It does not say that you need consent forms, that is simply one way of establishing a ‘legal basis’. If you need the data in order to fulfil your ‘contract’ with your customer, then you have a legal basis.

If you need their address in order to supply an invoice or guarantee, then I would say you have a legal basis.

If you are collecting it just for the hell of it and with a view to spamming, sorry, marketing to them later, then you do not have a legal basis unless they give permission. You will also have to provide a way for them to withdraw that permission and view the data.

In other words, depending on your type of business, if you have no need to contact the customer once the transaction is complete, it is not wise to be collecting (spurious) data from them.

Of course, once the law comes into effect and it has been tested in the courts, we will find out what it really means. In the meantime, tread with care.

—
Colin