[GNC] GNC Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Apr 10 12:19:06 EDT 2018

Alain,

You said you use Mutt. You are one of the few (2 so far?) requesting and defending this change.

Did you read the Mutt manual? Specifically: http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/#using-lists (and also: http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/#lists)

"Mutt has a few configuration options that make dealing with large amounts of mail easier. The first thing you must do is to let Mutt know what addresses you consider to be mailing lists (technically this does not have to be a mailing list, but that is what it is most often used for), and what lists you are subscribed to. This is accomplished through the use of the lists and subscribe commands in your .muttrc.

Now that Mutt knows what your mailing lists are, it can do several things, the first of which is the ability to show the name of a list through which you received a message (i.e., of a subscribed list) in the index menu display. This is useful to distinguish between personal and list mail in the same mailbox. In the $index_format variable, the expando “%L” will print the string “To <list>” when “list” appears in the “To” field, and “Cc <list>” when it appears in the “Cc” field (otherwise it prints the name of the author).”

You can do this all on your own, without the rest of us having to see [GNC] or anything else pre-pended or appended to the subject line. Just configure your client properly.

Regards,
Adrien