[GNC] FINANCIAL STATEMENT COLUMNS

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Thu Apr 12 08:05:22 EDT 2018

On 4/11/2018 10:13 AM, tino mateka wrote:
> Hi
>
> How do I put my financials for different months in different columns under one aggregated financial statement.
>
> Tinotenda Mateka

Well I can describe how I do it.

Not different months in my case, but consecutive years, because that is
how non-profits usually present their annual statements. I have gnucash
produce the (raw) reports for the two periods and export those << well
actually I produce just the reports for the currently ending period and
export those because I did the previous ones last time.

I then bring this data into a document using my favorite editor. I
remove extraneous data (detail levels kept for historical reasons or
needed to prepare governmental filings but of no interest to the board),
realign for differences in what accounts present in the two periods,
pretty print changing fonts, font sizes, etc., and add any necessary
annotations to explain anything unusual. Also add any fixed text
describing principles used << for example, what was the amount the
organization chose to be the minimum amount for fixed assets,
depreciation schedule, etc. ---- the boards would know these things but
non-profit financial reports are supposed to be open to the public so
explanations in order >>

For the interim reports (quarterly for the organizations I keep books)
not two side by side, just the current quarter, but the same general
method.

Asking the accounting package to incorporate the full power of a general
purpose editor is silly, unnecessary, since good editors already exist.
And this is the opinion of somebody like myself who used to make my
living designing/writing financial system software. A few hundred
thousand lines of code in my day, and since able to at least read LISP,
would have been a short learning curve to have written custom reports in
Scheme.

Michael D Novack