[GNC] find AND REPLACE?

C M Reinehr cmr at reinehr.net
Thu Apr 12 13:14:27 EDT 2018

I'm still a novice at GnuCash but from previous discussions I do not
believe that there is a global find and replace utility. But two ideas
come to mind. If your file format is XML, isn't that a text file? If it
is, you could use a text editor ('vi' if you're on Linux) to do a global
search & replace. Or, if you are using SQLite, you could use the dump
utility to create a text SQL file and, likewise, use a text editor. Then
rebuild your GnuCash file from the edited SQL dump file.

HTH!

CMR

On 04/09/2018 11:11 PM, Paul Costan wrote:
> I am looking for the command(s) or work-around to accomplish what I
> used to use in Quicken as Find and Replace.  Specifically, after
> downloading multiple months of transactions from my credit union into
> a simple checkbook ledger, I could use the Quicken "find" to select
> all transactions with description "Safeway" and then select from them
> to "replace" the category to "Groceries". I'm good in Gnucash up
> through the Find part, can't figure out how to easily set the Account
> without a lot of keystrokes. Didn't see anything in the
> manual/help/faq.  Suggestions? Thanks.

Linux distribution Debian 8 "Jessie"
----
"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." --Winston Churchill
------