[GNC] Include unused accounts in budgets, and behaviour of placeholder accounts in budgets

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sat Apr 14 12:37:15 EDT 2018

The function of ‘placeholder’ for the account is separate than the function of rolling up the totals of sub accounts in the budget module. As far as I can tell, they are not related in any way. I have several parent accounts that are not placeholders, but I don’t enter budgets for them, I only enter budgets for the child accounts, and the budget module shows their total in the parent.

The placeholder setting on an account does not prevent you from independently setting a budget for it. If you set a budget for a parent account, that will be its budget, but if you do not set one, it’s budget will be the sum of its children.

Simply delete the budget you entered for the parent, and you’ll see it now changes to a grey text as the sum of the children.

Setting a budget for a parent that is marked as a placeholder does not change its status as a placeholder. Try setting a budget for such an account and then opening that account register - you can’t open the register, because it’s marked as a placeholder, still.

The two functions are entirely separate.

Regards,
Adrien