[GNC] Accounts columns currency

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Apr 14 18:10:38 EDT 2018

> On Apr 14, 2018, at 1:13 PM, Alen Siljak <alen.siljak at gmx.com> wrote:
>

> > I think that the currency offered on the accounts page is the currency of the root account. That’s set when you create a new book with File>New and its default is the default currency in Preferences. Once it’s set for a book it can’t be changed in the GUI.
>

> Thanks for the info, John. I was hoping it was that easy. But... Here are a few interesting details:
>
> - I wanted to convert my XML book to SQLite and modify the root-account currency. However, I see no other book format options besides xml. GnuCash was installed from the default OpenSuse repo.
> - Checked one of the SQLite backup files and the root account is already in EUR commodity.
> - The summary line at the bottom of the Accounts window is showing all the amounts in Euros, respecting the default currency setting, it seems.
>
> But the list of columns that can be added to the Accounts window still only contains the locale currency (GBP).
> Changing the system default language also had no effect on the currency displayed here.
> I was going to check the config directory but I see no ~/.config/gnucash.

Having only the XML backend indicates that you haven't installed either libdbi or the dbd driver packages.

Language and locale are separate. Currency, numeric separators, time formats, etc. are locale settings. If you launch GnuCash from the command line you can set the locale for it with e.g. LANG=de_DE gnucash. If you use a desktop icon it's easier to set it in /usr/share/etc/gnucash/environment. It's about halfway down and says # LANG = nl_BE. Remove the # and set it to your locale of choice. If you want the same language just uncomment the following line. If you want a different language, uncomment the following line and replace {LANG} with a comma-separated list of two-letter language codes in order of preference, e.g. fr,de,en.

Is this 2.6.something or 3.0? For 2.6.something the config directory is ~/.gnucash.

Are you sure you selected the Choose radio button in Preferences>Accounts>Default Currency?

Regards,
John Ralls