[GNC] GST / HST / VAT on Employee Vouchers

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 16 11:07:50 EDT 2018

Hi,

Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> writes:

> Op woensdag 28 maart 2018 13:12:30 CEST schreef Jason Currie:
>> I'm not sure how VAT works elsewhere, but for Canadian HST, I when I
>> reimburse an employee for a business expense, I can claim the input tax
>> credits. I need the HST paid by the employee to go to my HST Paid account.
>>
> Please keep replies on the list by using reply-all or reply-to-list in your
> mail program.
>
> I probably expressed myself poorly. In gnucash the employee voucher
> feature is not intended to be used in case VAT is involved. It was
> written with a very limited use case in mind. Derek can probably fill
> in more details.

I did it for me and mirrored my usage, which in the USA does not deal
with tax recapture.

> If you want to handle VAT on expense vouchers you will have to treat the
> employee as a vendor to your company. This will have little additional
> consequences as far as I know.

The *IDEA* what that an "Employee" might eventually have special
meaning, perhaps being able to enter their own expenses.  It never got
that far, of course, but that was my thinking at the time.

We could extend employee to be more like vendors in terms of taxes.
Adding a tax-table entry to each line-item would certainly be
appropriate -- but there is also the cash vs card idea for employees --
which stems from whether or not the company is paying the "corporate"
credit card directly or not.  So that's the other main difference
between Employee and Vendor.

In summary, I see no reason not to accept an RFE to add tax-tables to
vouchers.