[GNC] GnuCash 3.0 wine versus Windoze 10

jeffrey black beastmaster126 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 18 03:40:11 EDT 2018

Before I do something incredibly stupid, like I did in hard crashing my
Windoze server because of a virus (IRS search miss-key, go figure), and
the boot partitions seem to be non-repairable even though all data and
programs are still on disk.  (And yes, I know stupid of me to not have a
current backup).  I still have legacy apps with data stored internally
that are not extractable without Windoze and without a reliable backup
per partition, per drive, I am not going to touch those drives until I
can find a way to recover everything.

Can GnuCash 3.0 be run under Wine on Ubuntu Xenial?  3.0 has features
that I need.  It wants to install on only my Windoze dives which I will
not do until I have all of the data extracted. I have been unable to
build 3.0 from source code.  (yes I know Mint is a better choice but;
until I recover all of the data from Windoze I am not changing, Ubuntu
is up and running, Hallelujah!!!!!!!!, on it's own dedicated drive).

Second Question:  My laptop still has Windoze 10 home, so can I install
GnuCash 3.0 on it and use it with Windoze GnuCash Version 2.6.19 data
files on the server files which are still accessible via Ubuntu file
share with Windoze 10?  Are the data files compatible?  I have 20+ years
of data that I definitely can not afford to loose (think divorce).

--JEffrey Black M.B.A.