[GNC] .log files with sqlite backend

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 19 09:47:59 EDT 2018

Hi,

"David T. via gnucash-user" <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> writes:

> Alen,
> I think you have identified a potentially significant issue with log
> files and sql data files.  Specifically, with xml files, full
> snapshots are saved periodically, and log files are paired with these
> snapshots to enable a user to "replay" actions to recover a previous
> state.
> It is unclear what log file playback would do to an sql data file,
> since the only saved file is constantly updated. I worry that it would
> result in a corrupted file, since I imagine it would in essence
> reapply a subset of transactions onto the file.
> I'd be happy to be told I am wrong, but if this would be the result,
> perhaps it would be advisable for gnucash not to create log files for
> any sql back end.
> David

I don't see any reason/need to replay a log file to a database backend.
One of the benefits of the SQL storage backend is that changes are
committed to storage immediately.  So basically, so long as you don't
have a system-wide crash, there is a very small window where you could
lose data, and at worst you'd only lose a single transaction.

So I don't see why you would want or need to replay logs with SQL.

Is there a specific use-case here that I missed?