[GNC] Treasury Bills

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Sat Apr 21 07:27:06 EDT 2018

On 4/20/2018 10:46 PM, Les wrote:
> Hi Gnucashers:
>
> Curious, I am wondering if it is correct to classify TBills as "Cash"?
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Les
Not cash but probably cash equivalents (so still under current assets).
Other "negotiable paper" probably treated the same way. But I learned in
the old days, and perhaps now* that direct wire transfers are much used,
maybe modern accounting has another take on this. The point is, this is
not really a gnucash question. You don't have a problem about HOW to
enter an account for these but WHERE in the CoA the account belongs.
That is an accounting question, not a gnucash question << you are
looking for an answer that would apply even were you keeping books the
old fashioned way, pen and ink on paper >>

Michael D Novack

* The point here is that going back hundreds of years, "bills of
exchange" and other negotiable paper was how large amounts were moved
over distance. Much safer than shipping gold.